Do you already have a profile?

Choose your sign up

Please, tell us about you, so we could show you the way.

I am a cat / dog companion

If you buy Almo Nature products and/or support Capellino Foundation projects, this is your personal door.

I am a business partner

If you work for a shop, a vet clinic or represent other Almo Nature’s business partner, this is where we welcome you.

Don’t have an account yet?

Use your code to change the password

Enter the verification code from the email we’ve sent you and create new password.

Reset password

Enter the email address associated with your account, and we’ll email you a link to reset your password.

You did it!

Password successfully restored

Change temporary password

Password should contain at least 1 number (0-9), 1 special character ($, &, #, @, !, *), 1 uppercase (A-Z) & 1 lowercase (a-z) letters

Spring: a risky time for cats and dogs

Table of Contents

With the arrival of spring and Easter, the opportunity to spend more time outdoors and to indulge in tasty confectionary delights arises, however, there are some seasonal risks to our pets that should not be underestimated: chocolate and flowers.

 

Cats, plants and flowers

aHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZmYXJtOC5zdGF0aWNmbGlja3IuY29tJTJGNzYyNyUyRjE2OTExMzA3Mzk5X2YwNDkwNGZmY2Nfby5qcGc=Many houseplants we buy can be dangerous for our cats. That’s why it is important to always check before adorning our house with a new pot plant.

It’s impractical to draw up a complete list of all plants that are poisonous for our cats, but it’s important to know that some can evoke minor reactions when ingested, while others can cause severe reactions such as kidney and liver problems or may affect the heart or central nervous system. Here is a brief overview:

 

What plants are safe for cats?

Mint, thyme, rosemary, basil, chamomile and many aromatic plants can be used to decorate and perfume our home and are completely safe for our cat to explore and smell.

Some ornamental plants are also safe for our cats, such as lavender, African violet, begonia, cornflower and petunias.

 

What to do if you think your cat has been poisoned

If you think your cat has been poisoned, time is of the essence. Don’t wait for your pet to get sick. It is important to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible after ingestion or contact with the plant, informing them of the poison or plant they have been exposed to. The vet will then be able to advise you of the best course of action to ensure the safety of your pet.

 

Dogs and chocolate: bitter enemies!

Specialists and toxicologists report that chocolate poisoning is one of the most commonly reported seasonal emergencies. Although most cases are not serious fortunately, prevention is far better than cure, so we should always be vigilant to risk and keep our chocolates out of reach.

Chocolate is dangerous for dogs because it contains methylxanthines – stimulants of the nervous system and the cardiovascular system (such as caffeine and theobromine) – that can cause tremors, muscle twitches, convulsions, cardiac arrhythmias and hypertension crisis.

The extent of chocolate toxicity is directly proportional to the dose ingested. Symptoms of medium severity are apparent in dosages of approximately 20mg per kilo of weight of the pet while poisoning is severe for doses in the region of 40mg/kg.

In general, the sweeter the chocolate, the lower the amount of methylxanthines present. For example, milk chocolate contains about 140-173mg of methylxanthine per 100g of product while dark chocolate contains up to 1198-1232mg per 100g. This means that the fatal dose of milk chocolate for a small dog (for example a poodle) is between 140 and 280 grams, while dark chocolate is between 14 to 28 grams.

 

What to do if you think your dog has ingested chocolate

If you think your dog has ingested chocolate, time is of the essence. Don’t wait for your pet to get sick. It is important to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible after ingestion, informing them of the product your dog has eaten and how much you estimate they have consumed. The vet will then be able to advise you of the best course of action to ensure the safety of your pet.

Related posts

Choose the way to sign up

You are alredy subscribed

Welcome to the community!

Our first email is already on its way. We hope you like it.

One more thing

We'd be happy to know a bit more about you — to show you more relevant information. Please, answer a few simple questions:

What animal companion(s) do you have?

How old are your animal companions?

  • Dog
  • Cat

Which area do you live in?

Ooh, you have a cat and a dog! We like you already :)

Thanks for joining us! And say “hi” to your cat from us :)

Thanks for joining us! And say hi to your dog from us :)

Hey, it's so cool to have you here :) Thanks for joining us!

Please, if you have any kind of feedback about Almo Nature products for cats or dogs (or both!), or about the projects of Capellino Foundation, please share it with us — we are always excited about talking to people who care. Hope to see you here again soon!

This website uses technical cookies to make browsing easier, analytics cookies to collect aggregate data, cookies aimed at guaranteeing the functionality of social media, and third-party cookies to offer additional services and features to users. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please see the Cookie policy.

By clicking on the specific button, closing this banner, scrolling this webpage or continuing to browse in any other way, you agree to the use of cookies.